The Staff Who Make a Difference Award is presented annually to four full-time staff members, one each in the fields of administrative, professional, service and technical. The award recognizes individuals who have made a positive impact on the campus community, implemented creativity and/or innovation in the workplace, displayed teamwork or leadership strengths and shown a commitment to the university’s principles of community, diversity, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
- In 2003, the College’s technology development effort was recognized by the UC President Office and UCR former Chancellor France Córdova, and was awarded with Larry Sautter Award for Achievement in University Computing.
- In 2005, the Staff Who Make a Difference Award was given to the Chief of Technology Officer, James Lin. “Lin has helped transform CHASS from the least technologically deployed college to a campus leader in technology development, especially in the interests of the students and staff”.
- In 2006-2007 the Staff Who Make a Difference Award was given to Mingji (Matthew) Chu, the Enterprise Systems Architect in the CHASS Technical Department. “In 14 months he completed the development of two E-Business applications that saved money, reduced the staff workload and improved student services.”
- In 2007, CHASS received Finalist Award of Best Practices in Business Intelligence from Computerworld for the revolutionary Student Advising and Appointment System (SAAS). Awards were presented in Las Vegas at the Green Valley Ranch Resort on September 26th.
- In 2009, CHASS’s Facilities Reservations System (FRS 2.0) received the Larry L. Sautter Silver Award for Achievement in University Computing. The Larry Sautter Award is the highest IT (informational technology) award in the UC System.
- In 2009, Manager for Enterprise Applications and Systems, Raymond Holguin, received the UCR Staff Assembly’s Staff Who Make a Difference “In a little more than 3 years, he has completed the development of 8 major E-Business projects for CHASS; an outstanding accomplishment in such a short time period. All of these systems have significantly enhanced CHASS’ business operations— reduced staff workload, saved money, enhanced security, and improved student services quality”.
- In 2012, James Lin, the Director of CHASS College of Computing, once again received the Staff Who Make a Difference James was selected based on his demonstrated support of the university’s principles of community, diversity, equal opportunity, and affirmative action.